What's new

RB26DETT S15 WAY too tail happy

Reaction score
Hey all... anyone able to provide any insight into why my s15 tries to kill me on almost every corner, I'll provide some dets on the build..

BC gold coilovers, unsure of the exact spring rates but not too low or stiff, freshly done alignment, -2.5° camber front, -0.5° rear, reasonably square toe setup, and quite a bit of front caster.

Stock diff.

RB26DETT swap with around 350hp atw. And a reasonably heavy and grabby clutch.

18x9 front and 18x10 rear with 225/40r18 F and 245/35r18 R bridgestone re050a, so it's got some grip.

Basically, what's happening is, in a straight line, it's great, but I'll give it a little, like not even half throttle, around a corner, even one with a wide radius at highway speeds, and suddenly I'm doing my best Adam LZ impersonation at full lock.
I have no idea why. It's not an insane amount of power, I've got other cars with more power and less tyre that don't try to make a drifter out of me. I'm at my wits end with it...

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

drifter

Reaction score
Country
Stock diff? Do you know if it was a spec r with the hellical diff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Stock diff? Do you know if it was a spec r with the hellical diff?

It's a spec r, unsure if it's the stock diff or not yet, haven't had time to dive under it yet I've only had it a couple weeks.
I kinda boil it down to it being light, 350whp rb26 and much torquier than the sr. But I'm just wondering if there could be something wrong or I need to adjust my driving style from being used to big heavy LS commodores..
I was used to those things stepping out everywhere, but they're really forgiving... the 15 is WAY snappier... goes to big angle VERY quickly.

Reaction score
I'll also add this... I had heard these things are very nimble and precise, and I can vouch for that, I took it to a friend's private area today (rugby field sized concreted area) and had a rather aggressive play with it, and drifting wise, I will say, when done intentionally it is very predictable and easy to drift... but when driving normally on road, it's weirdly snappy and unpredictable... the diff doesn't seem too tight, it doesn't chirp the inside wheel on u turns or anything, like a locker or extremely tight lsd would.. but does spin both reliably when intended... so i don't think the diff is the issue, I just don't know what to do, pressures are where I like them, and as I fit tyrrs for a living I guess I should have a fair idea where they should be, around 36psi front, 34 rear..

Idk anymore, at the point of listing it for sale or turning it into a full track car

drifter

Reaction score
Country
I’ve never run more than 32psi all round on mine, maybe that will help. I track mine with no issues, but that’s on sr20 so less punch and trackday tyres.

Reaction score
I’ve never run more than 32psi all round on mine, maybe that will help. I track mine with no issues, but that’s on sr20 so less punch and trackday tyres.

Sent from my iPhone
I'll give that a go... I know in previous experience NZ roads are wheel killers with lower psi... pot holes, bumps, general crap roads we have here...